Hello! 2016 may have sucked a lot, but it was a great year for amazing music. This year, I found myself gravitating towards hiphop, rap, R&B, soul, jazz, and funk–this list has a shortage of rock tracks. But I am guessing a return or paying homage to soul, jazz, and funk is the trend of 2016, which I think is really great because I somehow grew up listening to them.
I haven’t listened to a lot of local releases, hence there’s just one local track–I’m sorry. For one of my classes in the recently concluded semester, I had to listen to a lot of Filipino pop (I consulted a well-known chart for this), but none of them really shone through enough to be part of this list. Maybe this is a sign for me to watch out for Filipino tracks next year.
I am also breaking my silence on Frank Ocean’s Blonde. None of its tracks appear in this list. Because I didn’t like Blonde. It’s not on the same level as Channel Orange. OKAY, I SAID IT, PLEASE DON’T FLAME ME. Yes, I was one of those who hyped Blonde up and I think I may have did it too much with the memes and the over-analyzing of teasers. But once I listened to the record, I found it wanting of the magnificence of Channel Orange. This is why, if you follow me on social media, I don’t post a lot of stuff on Blonde. “Ivy” and “Self Control” are good tracks, though.
You’ll also notice that I’ve labeled these as my “favorite;” I’m veering away from calling these the “top tracks,” which I have done for the previous year (years, actually, if you’re my Facebook friend), as this isn’t a definitive list but a display of songs I really liked.
In no particular order, here are my favorite songs of 2016:
- 24K Magic – Bruno Mars
- Dang! feat. Anderson .Paak – Mac Miller
- Me and Your Mama – Childish Gambino
- Be Alright – Ariana Grande
- Am I Wrong feat. ScHoolboy Q – Anderson .Paak
- Higher – Carly Rae Jepsen
- No Problem feat. Lil Wayne and 2Chainz – Chance the Rapper
- Unstable – Autotelic
- Cranes in the Sky – Solange
- Ultralight Beam feat. Chance the Rapper/Father Stretch my Hands Pt. 1 – Kanye West (it’s a tie, technically making this list Sixteen Favorite Songs of 2016 lelz)
- We the People – A Tribe Called Quest
- GOT IT GOOD feat. Craig David – Kaytranada
- Feel Like I Do (Al Green) – Disclosure
- Crush – Yuna
- Burn the Witch – Radiohead
I’ve turned it into a Spotify playlist, which you can listen to here: